Sunday, April 20, 2008

April 20th (a.k.a. "420", "four-twenty", etc. day)

Today is a counterculture holiday of sorts. 420, either the date or the time, was a code to meet to get high, exchange 'goodies', and otherwise get recreationally wasted.

It's surprising that it took me this long (age fifty-one) to find out about it.

Then again, I tended to run in difference circles. Still do, come to that.

As regarding recreational pharma of any sort, the temptation is there, but the fear of consequences is also there. I guess I came to that early, in high school. From everything I hear, I was unusual in this regard. Teens are not supposed to be able to think these things through like that. A recent Scientific American article (March, '08) states that the human forebrain (where higher reasoning functions are processed) doesn't get fully myelinated until age twenty years old, or so. A lot of people write off kids thinking on a higher level because of that.

I don't think so.

Just because it's more difficult, doesn't mean they can't. Many kids/teens think better than some adults.

Then again, some don't.

Check out this link:

Randy Cassingham's Blog: Two Teen Tales

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Now that you're back, you tell me, which teen did the better thinking?

Use that lump of gray/white matter between your years.

Yes, you can.

No comments: