Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Now, for Something Completely Different...

... I must have been in a half doze these past two weeks to not have written at least something! I can't offer any excuse except that of poor planning (Click here) and a new work schedule.

The real reason? I didn't make the time for it.

What's the real reason that things don't get done in your life? When we face facts, it's pretty much the same thing: we didn't make time for it.

There's many ways of saying the same thing, ways that offload the responsibility to someone or something else, if only a little bit: "I'm over-committed", "Something came up", "I got too busy with (name the important thing done instead)", etc.

We are all well-meaning on our commitments, and our inability to say "no" to a new commitment means that we have plenty of excuses when the important things fall by the wayside. Important things like getting that gift for your wife/hubby/child -- a gift that's not just the first thing you see at the store. Like taking time to listen to the conversation; taking time to have the conversation in the first place; playing catch with the little one before he or she grows out of the 'fun' stage. With luck and attention, the 'fun' stage of their life will continue through to adulthood.

If you haven't done this before, or even if you have, take a piece of paper, fold it in half length-wise and write down all the things that are important to you to accomplish before-- well, for me at my age it'll be before I die -- on the left side. On the right side of the paper list all of your responsibilities. Now prioritize them.

On my "want to accomplish" side I have listed: write a book. On my "responsibility" side I have taking care of our little one until she's all grown up. One of my "want to accomplish" is "visit Easter Island during the total solar eclipse, something I think would be great to take the little one along so she could see something special first-hand.

So, some of your "want to accomplish" goals can dovetail with your responsibilities. See how many you can dovetail like that.

Have Fun! Be Responsible! Plan and Prioritize!

Yes You Can!

No comments: