Friday, June 20, 2008

"Be Kind to Your Web-Footed Friends..."


"... For a Duck may be somebody's Mother..."

As I've said earlier, life deals us lemons and left-handed monkey wrenches, and the best we can do some days is to keep on keeping on. This has been the story for most of the past few weeks. Mind you, my life has been far and away easier to deal with than the folks in Windsor, or, more recently, the people in Iowa.

Last night's news brought a sound bite saying that President Bush is making sure Federal assistance is available through FEMA, unlike with Hurricane Katrina.

Hmmm.

While there were major glitches with Fema's response in Louisiana, the time the Federal government can act is after it has been asked to. Remember, Federal agencies cannot usurp or preempt State or Local authorities' powers. (Interestingly, the situation that caused that rule to be established in the first place dates from the Reconstruction Era after the Civil War, when martial law was about to be declared in Louisiana to force a 'fair' election. But I digress...)

I don't recall that FEMA took over before the Iowa flooding, did it?

In any case, Bush toured, FEMA is assessing and all will be right again.

All of that is by way of saying that a lot of water has gone over my personal dam, and it's been a long time since I wrote here. Sorry about that.

Mind you, I havent been close to a CNN channel to listen to Nancy Grace, but I don't think that the Iowans have been nearly so whiny as the Louisianans. (Feel free to correct me). In any case, the good people of Iowa, as well as the good people of Windsor, will, with help, pull it all together and put it back together as good or better than it was before.

And I'll get my life put back together and better organised.

Yes, I can!

"You may think that this is the end...
Well, it IS."
(Apologies to Mitch Miller, and thanks for all the memories.)
PS: the photo is of the Windsor Tornado when it was west of Greeley and still south of Windsor (taken from the vicinity of the State Farm Insurance building, in The Promontory, an industrial office park).

No comments: